These Pre-Operative Instructions are general guidelines that can be used before surgery for most patients. Since every case is unique, your surgeon may give you further or differing instructions.
Please follow his or her guidelines.
- You will be contacted up to the night before surgery by the surgical facility and told what time to arrive. Usually you are asked to arrive approximately 2 hours prior to your surgery time.
- Do not eat or drink anything after midnight prior to your surgery. This includes water and coffee. This is for your safety during the procedure. If you eat or drink after midnight, your surgery will need to be rescheduled.
- Discontinue any medications that you were instructed to stop taking by your physician. If however you are taking any regular medications such as Heart, BP, asthma, or seizure medicines, they can be taken the morning of your surgery with a sip of water. Swallow only enough water to take your medication.
- Make sure that you know the location and directions to the surgical facility.
- Avoid tobacco, gum, mints, or candy of any kind the morning of your surgery.
- Prior to surgery, shower/bathe, brush your teeth and gargle as usual, but do not swallow any water.
- Remove any wig or hairpiece, contact lenses, body jewelry, hairpins, etc. If you wear glasses, bring your glasses and eyeglass case with you.
- Wear loose fitting clothing and flat shoes. Do not bring or wear jewelry. Leave all valuables at home.
- You will be contacted the day/night before surgery and told what time to arrive. Usually you are asked to arrive approximately 2 hours prior to your surgery time.
- If you are having outpatient surgery, you MUST arrange for someone to drive you home. If you arrive without arrangements, your surgery will be rescheduled.
- It is necessary to have a responsible adult stay with you after surgery because the effects of anesthesia remain with you for approximately 24 hours.
- You will need to see your physician for a post-op appointment after surgery. If you have not already scheduled your post-op appt, please call your physician and schedule (561) 694-7776.