Dr. Michael Leighton specializes in sports medicine and arthroscopic surgery of the knee and shoulder as well as total joint arthroplasty of the knee, hip, and shoulder. He has been in practice in Palm Beach County since 1994. For over two decades, he has treated NBA, NHL and MLB hall of famers, as well as local PGA and mini tour professionals. He also serves as the team physician for local high schools. He sits on the Board of Governors of Jupiter Medical Center.
Dr. Leighton is very sports oriented both in his own life and for his patient’s. He enjoys golf, tennis, pickleball, and many other sports activities. His approach to non-operative rehabilitation and therapy after surgery is aimed at getting patients back to the sports that they love; specifically, total knee and hip patients are expected to be playing golf between two and three months after surgery.
Dr. Leighton performs both Posterior and Direct Anterior Approaches for Total Hip Replacement using minimally invasive techniques as well as ROBOTIC ASSISTED (Mako) Total and Partial Knee Replacement Surgery. He prides himself on objectively evaluating new techniques and procedures to find the best and most appropriate treatment for his patients.
- Dr Leighton has repaired a torn meniscus in both of my knees as well as a partial knee replacement on on my husband. I was back on a spin bike within 10 days ad my husband was hiking the Appalachian Trail in 4 months. He is magic! I wouldn't consider anyone else.
- This was my first visit to Palm Beach Orthopedic Institute, Dr. Michael Leighton’s Office. I saw Margaret, his Physician Assistant. Her attention, care, sincere concern and encouragement was a great comfort to me.
- Dr. Leighton replaced my knee in 2003 and since has helped me resolve issues with both shoulders and my remaining natural knee. I am confident in his services-results have all been satisfactory. He communicates well.
- I saw Dr. Leighton for a second opinion on a knee injury for a possible alternative to a full knee and hip replacement as recommended by my first orthopedist. Dr. Leighton went over my MRI in detail, explaining the damage and my options. He then solicited questions from me, responding in detail without trying to rush the consultation. I have now chosen Dr. Leighton as my ongoing orthopedist.
- Dr. Leighton listens and thoroughly discusses your medical issues and options with you. I highly recommend him for hip, knee, and shoulder problems. Will not recommend surgery unless absolutely necessary. He also has a great sense of humor!
- Dr. Leighton replaced my left hip over a year ago and it was one of the best experiences I have ever had with surgery! Prior to seeing him, I reached out to numerous surgeons about my condition for treatment options. Most of them were too busy to see me or could not fit me in until 3 months out. Dr. Leighton understood the severity of my injury and made time to fit me in. He was extremely thorough describing what was causing my symptoms and prescribed me a treatment plan. When conservative options failed he recommended surgery and it was the right choice. He scheduled my surgery before the end of the year since my deductible was met to help me with my out of pocket expenses. I was back to work quickly and I am currently enjoying the sports I have always loved! Dr. Leighton and his staff is top notch! Special thanks to his assistant Margaret!
- Efficient office, medical staff was excellent. Dr. Leighton was personable, thorough and after X-rays and an exam, made an informed decision about my problem. He gave a few treatment options and left the decision up to me. I would definitely recommend him to other patients.
- I heard that Dr. Leighton was the best and he didn't disappoint. Literally changed my life!! Had a very complicated crooked leg from an old fracture that he brilliantly straightened in addition to knee replacement. I feel like a new person and I've never felt better!! Thank you
- I was very impressed by Dr. Leighton and his extremely efficient office! Top of the line! From the first encounter at the front office to each of his staff along the way, I was greeted with a smile and a friendly feeling! I especially loved the latest technology, from sign in to the graphics during the meeting with the Dr.! Dr. Leighton is my husband’s surgeon and this was the first time I had an appointment with him. Everything positive my husband had relayed to me about him and his staff was 100% right. Thank you!
- Personnel were very personable and welcoming. Dr. Leighton was thorough in the exam and prescribed a cortisone shot which was administered by Margaret under ultrasound - relatively painless in spite of the size of the needles.
- He takes the time to get to know you and really ask the important questions!
- Dr. Leighton is courteous, professional and highly competent. He also went way above and beyond what was required or expected of him.
- Fracture care and fixation
- Knee arthroscopy
- Knee ligament reconstruction
- Knee meniscus surgery
- Knee cartilage reconstruction
- Knee replacement (total/partial)
- Shoulder rotator cuff repair
- Shoulder arthroscopy
- Shoulder replacement
- Reverse shoulder replacement
Your physician has entrusted a team of staff to assist with every level of your care. Our clinic staff is committed to devoting their full attention to patients who are being seen during clinic sessions. If you are trying to reach your physician's medical assistant while they are in clinic, we kindly ask that you call his/her direct line. The medical assistant's phone calls and voicemails are monitored and managed by additional staff while the physician is in clinic.
Medical Assistant: Alicia Irwin